Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Ethics of Working In The Liquor Business

For the two years prior to my transfer to the Salisbury University, I worked at a liquor store back home. As one might imagine, the role of ones personal code of ethics constantly comes into play. As I just recently turned the legal age of 21 myself, carding, and many times denying persons from buying liquor is constant judgement call. With the trust of my boss, who, along with myself, would take the hit of a $5,000 fine for any person caught selling alcohol to any persons under the age of 21, I was given the opportunity to run the cash register, leaving it up to me to decide whether or not a person needed to be carded or not.


But the role of ethics does not stop at just the ability to decide a person a legal age, there are many other rules in which accompany the role of any person working in the liquor industry. Day in and day out, I witnessed the same customers, buying the same bottle of liquor or the same case of beer every single day, at least once a day and at many times, multiple times per day. Each day I was faced with the dilemma that I am feeding the addiction of so many of these people, it was up to me to decide whether I was content with this fact.


As stated earlier, I did stay with the job for two years and still continue to work there when I manage to make my way home for the holidays. Although my own personal code of ethics allowed me detach myself from any personal responsibility of others personal decisions, it was always something that weighed on my mind. I constantly joked with my co-workers that I truly hope that there is never a point in my life where I walk into a liquor store and the person at the counter already has in hand the bottle he or she knows I will be buying on that day, as I have personally done for so many of my customers.


The liquor industry is a place where ones personal ethics will be tested on a daily basis, and it is up to no one but yourself to decide what is right and what not.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know it was a 5000$ fine for selling to a minor. Insightful discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely can imagine that you were faced with many ethical decisions day in and day out while working with alcohol, especially when it comes to carding people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you are talking about. I was feeling the same about all those people: I am feeding their addiction. It is the case when personal ethics meet the professional ones. Well,we can't do too much in this situation. Business is business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Michael: and in most cases (If it is a second or third time for the store) they take the alcohol license from the owner for some period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine how difficult it must be being in the business and facing daily ethical issues. Since there are so many underage drinkers who constantly try to buy alcohol, it must have been hard on you to decide who gets carded and who does not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kelsey: There is a rule for all liquor stores (as I know) if you look under thirty years old, you are supposed to be carded. But yes, it is hard, some people look really young even in their late thirties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That has to be difficult. I would not feel good about feeding peoples addictions and also probably denying your friends or other underage kids of alcohol. It shows a lot of character that you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been a difficult job but it seems like your handling it well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your deal with selling to minors is a given, however you can not hold yourself at all responsible or think that your ethics were tested because of someones personal addiction. They have the right to choose and make their own decisions. Its not like they were a regular and decided to cut back or quit and you were encouraging them to keep on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is always a tough call because someone can easily look 21 and vice versus. There is alot weighing on you to do the right thing (the fines, business getting in trouble, etc).

    ReplyDelete